- livchan.cn
- 儒勒·凡尔纳(Jules Verne) 繁体
AT SUNRISE the next morning, February 12, the Nautilus rose to the surface of the waves.
第二天,2月12日,天一亮的时候,诺第留斯号就浮出水面。
I rushed onto the platform. The hazy silhouette of Pelusium was outlined three miles to the south.
我立即跑到平台上去。南边三海里的地方,隐约瑰出北路斯城的侧影。
A torrent had carried us from one sea to the other. But although that tunnel was easy to descend, going back up must have been impossible.
一道急流把我们从这一个海带到另一个海来了。不过,这地道顺流而下很容易,逆流而上恐怕就不可能。
Near seven o'clock Ned and Conseil joined me. Those two inseparable companions had slept serenely, utterly unaware of the Nautilus's feat.
七点左右,尼德·兰和康塞尔也上来了。这两个分不开的同伴只知安安静静地睡了一觉,全没有留心到诺第留斯号所完成的大胆事业。
Well, Mr. Naturalist, the Canadian asked in a gently mocking tone, and how about that Mediterranean?
那么,生物学专家,加拿大人以略带嘲笑的语气问,您那地中海呢?
We're floating on its surface, Ned my friend.
我们现在就在它的水面上了,尼德朋友。
What! Conseil put in. Last night...?
嗯!康塞尔哼了一声,就是昨夜吗?
Yes, last night, in a matter of minutes, we cleared that insuperable isthmus.
对,就是昨夜,几分钟内,我们便走过了这不能走过的地峡。
I don't believe a word of it, the Canadian replied.
我不能相信这事。加拿大人回答。
And you're in the wrong, Mr. Land, I went on. That flat coastline curving southward is the coast of Egypt.
您错了,兰师傅,我立即说,那向南方弯下去的低低的海岸,就是埃及海岸了。
Tell it to the marines, sir, answered the stubborn Canadian.
先生,您向别人说去吧。固执的加拿大人回答。
But if master says so, Conseil told him, then so be it.
既然先生肯定了,康塞尔对他说,那就要相信先生哩。
What's more, Ned, I said, Captain Nemo himself did the honors in his tunnel, and I stood beside him in the pilothouse while he steered the Nautilus through that narrow passageway.
尼德,尼摩船长还很客气地让我看了他的地道,当他亲自指挥诺第留斯号通过这条狭窄地道的时候,我在他面前,在领航人的笼间里。
You hear, Ned? Conseil said.
尼德,您明白了吗?康塞尔说。
And you, Ned, who have such good eyes, I added, you can spot the jetties of Port Said stretching out to sea.
您的眼力是很好的,我又说,尼德,您可以望见那伸出在海中的塞得港长堤。
The Canadian looked carefully.
加拿大人很用心地看了一下。他说:
Correct, he said. You're right, professor, and your captain's a superman.
果然,教授,您说得对。您的那位船长是一位杰出人物。
We're in the Mediterranean. Fine. So now let's have a chat about our little doings, if you please, but in such a way that nobody overhears.
我们现在是在地中海了。很好。我们来商谈一下我们的小事情吧,但不要使人们听到我们的谈话。